Parramatta hooker Nathan Peats says watching his side get mauled 56-4 by the Sydney Roosters was the harshest part of the one-match NRL ban he copped for an off-field incident.
The former South Sydney rake was stood down for Saturday’s round-two clash and fined $5,000 for breaking the league’s code of conduct in October.
A further three-game ban has been suspended until October, as has an additional $5,000 fine.
The penalty was reportedly linked to an incident in Bali in the off-season, before his arrival at the Eels.
“I’m not going to comment on what I got punished with, I was just disappointed I missed out on the game,” said Peats on Monday.
“It wasn’t the punishment that I was upset with, it was more that I let the boys down and not being out there. I’d do anything for those lads.
“Not to play was probably (harder) than the punishment itself.”
Peats described watching helplessly from the sideline, as his teammates conceded 40 unanswered second-half points, as possibly the toughest experience of his footy career.
“It was a bit embarrassing to be honest and so were the boys,” he added.
“No NRL team should get beaten by that much, considering how good we played the first week (in a 36-16 win over the Warriors).
“The first half we stayed strong and stuck with it and then I don’t know what happened. The boys just … I can’t explain it.
“The good thing about footy is there’s always a new week and it starts today.”
The 23-year-old said he hopes to make it up to his teammates with a solid 80-minute performance in Sunday’s clash with last year’s grand finalists Manly.
“I thought I went alright in round one against the Warriors and that’s the reason I came to Parramatta and got an early release from Souths – to play some long minutes and play some consistent footy,” he said.
“So hopefully I can repay the boys back this week.
“It’s a big challenge coming up grand finalists Manly, but after last week’s performance if we can bounce back and play how we played round one, we can have a decent go.”